Friday, February 12, 2010

On my way

I am absolutely giddy!  I received my first MLIS acceptance today – to the #3 program in the U.S. at Syracuse University.   I also have applications into University of Pittsburgh and Rutgers, and I am considering Queens College and the Palmer School at C.W. Post, but SU is definitely my first choice.  Their speedy decision is flattering and terrifying.  Now it’s really happening, and it’s up to me to make it work!

This is very reminiscent of my undergraduate acceptance (as a transfer student) to the S.I. Newhouse School at Syracuse University.  In both cases, I had my eye on Syracuse because I was looking for a change in direction, and Syracuse offered the best of the best in terms of education and career preparation. 

As a college sophomore, I decided to pursue Marketing and Advertising, and the school I was attending did not have a good program.  I have been somewhat successful in that field, thanks in large part to the training and development I ultimately received at Syracuse University.

After 7 years in that field, after getting married, getting a better idea of who I really am, and while looking ahead to what I want my life to be like (I finally realized it’s up to me!) – it’s time for another change.   A lot of factors, which I will discuss at another time, led me to the conclusion that I’d like to become a librarian.   Once again, I did my research and Syracuse came out on the top of my list. 

Last month, thanks to the advice of a library student I know, I went to the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston. To my surprise and delight, the iSchool at Syracuse had a booth at the exhibition, where I met some admissions staff and current students.  They were helpful in every way.  Their kind reception gave me the warm, fuzzy community feeling I had from Syracuse in my undergrad years.  I already felt like I was “in the club”.  Many of the people I met at the midwinter meeting offered answers to questions and advice that reassured me and at the same time made my heart sink.  This is what I want to do, but it is not going to be easy.  Goodbye social life, goodbye discretionary spending.  Hello sleep deprivation, research papers, and stress-related binge eating!  And of course, hello to the rest of my life – maybe it will mean a lower salary, but I will finally be doing something I truly want to do.

Here’s another reality check:  this is going to be expensive.  While I await other admission decisions, I need to get busy and apply for some aid, so I can take advantage of this incredible opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment